• Hats, 3/4/11

    The News … from 1911.

    Changes at Post Office: No Sundays!
    Pursuant to an overwhelming public sentiment and in compliance with instructions from the Postmaster General that all city delivery offices close on Sundays, and that work loads of seven days weekly be given up, the delivery of mail from the carrier’s cases [mail bags] on Sunday will be discontinued. No home delivered mail should be expected on future Sundays.
    However, the General Delivery window will be kept open from 12:30 to 1:00 pm each Sunday for the exclusive accommodation of the traveling public, whose mail is addressed to the General Delivery of Pacific Grove.
    Business people who desire their mail regularly on Sundays will be allowed to rent boxes (at the full rate) even though their mail is delivered to them by carriers on the other days of the week. Any patron who so desires may have an important personal communication delivered to him at his residence upon occasion of a Sunday must arrange the payment of the prescribed fee for Special Delivery.
    The Post Office department is desirous that its employees be given a day of rest. Hence, the foregoing plan will have to be rightly adhered to. The cooperation of the public is earnestly requested in this matter. Submitted by James Harper, Pacific Grove Postmaster. I

    Headless body found on shore
    The naked and badly decomposed body of a man was found on the beach near the Grove on Thursday. Ramon Romero, finder of the body, reported that the head of the man was missing.
    Coroner Pell was summoned. After an inquest on Thursday, Pell gathered a jury consisting of Wm. Bergschlecker, E. C. Miller, H. J. Schaufeld, F. Haskell, and E. S. Carlisle. The jury brought in a verdict of death by drowning.
    It is supposed that the man was either drowned by high water during recent flooding or that he is one of the three men who deserted from the sealer Anne when that craft was recently anchored in port. It is known that two of the men abandoned their ship, but the theory is that the third man fell into the bay while intoxicated and was drowned.
    Coroner Pell promised to advise if more information should be uncovered. The Coroner cites special interest in the question of how the head and clothing could have gone missing unintentionally.

    Auto mobiles gain popularity: garage to expand
    Mr. L. H. Peterson, owner of the Pacific Grove garage, reports that he has made arrangements with H. E. Kent whereby the latter will build a concrete, fire-proof building on Grand avenue II running through the block to Fountain avenue. Construction will take place on the site of the former Mammoth stable, previously destroyed by fire. It is said that the structure is to be 60 by 140 feet in size. Work is to commence immediately and will be rushed to completion by June 15.
    It is the plan of the Pacific Grove garage to equip its plant with a first-class machine shop and install all the conveniences that autoists might wish for. The building will be large enough to easily accommodate six machines.
    Mr. Peterson states that the building may be somewhat larger than present demands require, providing in advance for future growth, but he does not intend to utilize the spare space for any other business purpose.

    Gold is found!
    While excavating to accommodate the construction of a new building, workmen are credited with unearthing gold coins valued in the amount of several thousand dollars. However, when questioned, the men refused to either confirm or deny the story being circulated.
    That some money has been dug up is well known, but just how much has now been discovered may never be known. All those involved in the matter have agreed not to divulge any information. Their stated plan is to keep working at the generous labor rate of $5 a day.
    Those who are familiar with the scene related a story about a former home at the location of the renovation, now razed, being once occupied by a pair of miners. These men are rumored to have dug a mine in the mountains a considerable distance south of the Grove and are thought to have struck it rich. No theory about how the mined gold was turned into coins is extended. However, the amount of the miners’ strike is thought to have been about $25,000. II

    Notes from around the area…
    Having trouble keeping your auto mobile’s lamps lighted? Hugh’s hardware offers carry-along cans and high-grade kerosene.
    Heald’s school of business, located in Santa Cruz, would like to receive your request for free intern assistance. Students will travel by train, work three days weekly on a schedule to be organized. Employer provides only lunch. III
    Pastor E. Richards of the Emanuel Baptist church has announced services to be held Sunday morning at Robson hall. Sunday school begins at 9:15 and preaching at 10:30.

    The cost of living…
    Former rancher gives it up. Mr. W. B. Fitcher, now of Pacific Grove, has grown weary of ranching and wishes to retire. Fitcher owns 2,200 acres of pasture land, all fenced, with barns, workers bunk hut, and house. Watered from wells. There is enough cultivable land to raise hay and plenty for gardening. Eight miles from the railroad, the property lies about 30 miles south of Salinas. The price is $10,000. Terms available, with reasonable interest. See or write to W. B. Fitcher, Pacific Grove. See note below.

    Author’s Notes
    I. Previous to 1911, laborers were often required to work as many as 14 to 16 hours each day, seven days a week. However, studies conducted by Henry Ford revealed that lessening hours improved output and encouraged spending. Companies around the nation—including the post office—were cutting back to 6 or even 5 1⁄2 workdays each week. New Yorker George F. Johnson, co-owner of the endicott-Johnson Company (shoes and boots), was responsible for the 40 hour week and eight-hour working day which took effect five years later in 1916.
    II. 1911 grammar demanded that given names were capitalized while class identifiers were not. Hence Grand avenue and Fountain avenue were both capitalized correctly in 1911. Your contemporary author refers to Bullions’s School Gram- mar, first published in the 1870s by Sheldon & Company, No.8 Murray street, New York, for help with turn-of-the-century language. This reference was once the property of Victoria Sealy, address unknown, who also penciled math and history problems upon its pages.
    III. Gold coins were also unearthed in Monterey while bulldozing at the site of Monterey High School’s tennis courts.
    IV.  Founded in San Francisco in 1863, the Santa Cruz campus has been replaced by the Salinas campus of (now called) Heald College. Intern assistance is still often available.

    Please note! Readers are advised that the 1911 prices quoted herein are no longer valid, nor are these items / properties available from the mentioned seller. The Cedar Street Times appreciates the callers who have attempted to advantage themselves of these 1911 values, but we can be of no help.

    Know some news or trivia from a century ago? Contact the author Jon Guthrie: profguthrie@gmail.com.

    posted to Cedar Street Times on March 4, 2011

    Topics: High Hats and Parasols


    You must be logged in to post a comment.