• Heritage House Awards 2009

    (pictured award-winning home on Lobos)

    By Cameron Douglas and Darci D’Anna

    More than 60 residents, council members, architects and guests enjoyed the annual awards presentation of the Pacific Grove Heritage Society at the PG Natural History Museum on May 8. Donna Stewart, Maryanne Spradling and Steve Honegger presented awards and thanks to homeowners, architects, builders and others for their hard work.

    Agassiz Laboratory at Hopkins Marine Station received a Certificate of Appreciation for the Swan Boat project. Additional thanks went to Jan and Ted Rose for moving the project along.

    The awards covered several categories. In the Preservation category:

          221 Grand Avenue, owners Larry and Terri Bohn.

          This sheet metal commercial building served originally as a Chinese laundry. During reconstruction, workers discovered several old metal business signs which had been re-used over the years by flipping them over and creating new signs on the backsides.

    611 Pine Street, owner Christine Hyland.

          Her craftsmen spent much detailed time for fine restoration of this Queen Anne home. It was originally built in 1890, during the time of whales aplenty.

    228 Lobos, owner Ken Hinshaw.

          Pacific Grove got its first electric lights in 1895, and this sweet cottage in the same year. Hinshaw owns three houses in the historic inventory, purchased from two bitter enemies with the 13th request for a bank loan.

    225 Congress, owner Jeff and Carolee Edmonds.

          1905 saw the building of the Japanese Tea Garden and 225 Congress. “Thank God for old growth redwood,” said Carolee, expressing the spirit of green solutions employed to restore this beauty. “It keeps half of Pacific Grove standing.”

    857 Ocean View, owner Mark and Cynthia Garfield.

    (Contractor, Tom Long; Johnson Architectural Group.)

          This early craftsman bungalow went up in 1917, the same year Hopkins Laboratory changed location. According to Cynthia, “The only thing the Heritage Society corrected us on was the proportion of the windows, and they were right.” Grandpa Kir’s ghost is purportedly still in residence.

    832 Lighthouse, owners Bill and Cheryl Kampe.

    (Architect, Jeanne Byrne; Builder, Tom Long.)

          The Chautauqua Lectures ended in 1926, the year this hacienda was built. In 1930, one of our country’s 10 leading women lived here. Dr. Katherine Davis – among many other accomplishments – worked hard on Herbert Hoover’s presidential campaign. Restoration began with Cheryl Kampe’s vision for the gardens.

    In the Renovation/Addition category:

    211 Park Street, owner Dave Tarumoto.

    (Architect, Peter Davis; Interior design, Kathi Fanelli-Mann.)

          This inspiring renovation began as an addition to a stucco-sided structure. During the initial wall demolition, the previous life of a horse stable, circa 1887, showed itself. The vision changed to the board and batten beauty now completed.

    501 Congress, owners Frank and Carole Ehrhardt.

    (Architect, James McCord.)

          Built in 1905, the same year as the Library, this home re-located from 681 Spruce to its present address. Initially planned as a teardown, it turned out to be of pre-fab or ‘knockdown construction” design, the kind offered by Sears and Aladdin in 1908 for $125.

    In the New Construction/Remodel category:

    905 Ocean View, owners Stephen & Linda McDannold

    (Architect, Eric Miller.)

          Stephen McDannold’s grandparents moved to Pacific Grove in 1936. The McDannolds purchased this modern Craftsman-style house in 2000, fulfilling Stephen’s childhood wish to live in PG. It incorporates sustainable woods to integrate with the surrounding natural environment.

    802 17 Mile Drive, owners Pat and Katie Craig

    (Architect, Jeanne Byrne.)

          This Arts and Crafts Era home follows the principals of the not-so-big house. The gardens feature original Carmel Stone pathways, giving the house outdoor usability and expanded comfortable living space.

    The Heritage Society gratefully acknowledged Maryanne Spradling’s work over the past four years of presenting these awards. Special thanks went out to Don Beals for assistance in research. Fournier’s Bakery provided fabulous cookies and desserts.

    posted to Cedar Street Times on May 20, 2009

    Topics: Current Edition, Features, Cameron Douglas


    You must be logged in to post a comment.